Montessori Approach to Developing Good Sleeping Habits
Developing good sleeping habits is an important cornerstone in your child’s development. We all know that sleep serves fundamental biological needs. However, the time spent before your child goes to sleep could also play a crucial role in unlocking his or her multi-faceted potential.
Maria Montessori viewed bedtime as an opportunity to enhance your child’s ability to self-regulate. Your child’s bedroom provides him or her a familiar, stress-free terrain to use their senses to discover and explore unencumbered, without falling prey to extreme emotions. By making hands-on learning materials freely available to your child, you will help him or her develop independent thinking capabilities.
Here are some recommended tips:
- Use a low bed or floor mattress. Most cribs or toddler beds are essentially prisons that confine the child to a limited existence. A low bed will inspire your child to explore his or her bedroom world. When they are done exploring, their bed will only be a short climb away.
- Allow play and reading. Keep hands-on learning activities and books freely available in low, accessible shelves. Allowing adequate play time does not, of course, mean an eternally flexible bedtime. However, this delicate balance between freedom and discipline will help your child learn to discipline themselves to adhere to the rules.
- Remove stimulating influences. Ensure that the bedroom environment is peaceful and relaxing. Loud music, television, computer screens, and harsh blue lights (e.g. from phones, LEDs, etc.) are best avoided.
- Follow the child. Keep all activities and responsibilities always at your child’s ability and comprehension levels. The purpose here is to empower your child, not overwhelm him or her.
- Set a good example. The more you model the right behavior yourself, the faster your child will learn.
Keep in mind that every child is different. Some will learn fast, while others may need more time and attention. They may need you to play with them, or comfort or hug them to sleep. Don’t be afraid to give them the attention they seek! Love is an essential ingredient without which all tactics will fall by the wayside.
At Starwood Montessori, we are committed to empowering you as a parent with information that can add significant value to your child’s life. If you are looking for the right education for your child, you do not need to look any further. Feel free to stop by our office or call us at (972) 712-8080.